Edible Flower Cakes
An edible flower cake is a stunning and unique dessert that features delicate edible flowers that have been carefully arranged on top of a frosted cake. This type of cake is perfect for a special occasion such as a wedding or a bridal shower, and it’s sure to impress your guests with its beauty and elegance. Some common edible flowers that are used in cakes include lavender, rose petals, violets, and pansies. These flowers can be purchased fresh from a local florist or grocery store, or grown in your own garden.
Here’s how to make a pressed floral cake:
- To create an edible flower cake, you can start with any basic cake recipe, such as vanilla or chocolate.
- Select a variety of edible flowers, making sure that they are clean and free of pesticides or other harmful chemicals. Press the flowers between two sheets of paper using a flower press or heavy books. Leave them pressed for several days until they are completely dry.
- Before adding the flowers to the cake, it’s important to wash them thoroughly and remove any stems or leaves.
- Once the flowers and foliage are dry, arrange them on top of the frosted cake. Start by placing larger flowers or leaves first and then fill in the gaps with smaller flowers and greenery.
- Gently press the flowers and foliage into the frosting, being careful not to push too hard or damage them. You can use a pair of tweezers or a toothpick to help with placement. You can then arrange the flowers on top of the cake in any pattern you desire, such as a wreath, a bouquet, or scattered throughout.
- Serve the cake immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
For an extra special touch
You can also add edible flower petals to the cake batter or frosting. This can be done by finely chopping the petals and adding them to the batter or frosting just before baking or decorating. Once you have arranged the flowers to your liking, you can add a few finishing touches such as a dusting of edible glitter or a sprinkling of pearl dust.
When serving an edible flower cake, it’s important to inform your guests that the flowers are safe to eat and have not been treated with any harmful chemicals. It’s also a good idea to have a list of the specific flowers used in the cake, in case anyone has any allergies or concerns.
Edible Flower Cake Ideas
Organic Edible Petals
A swiss meringue buttercream finish, adorned with edible jewels and not a white table cloth in sight! A blue painted chest with an abundance of bright flowers bursting from the open draws, the perfect spot to show off the cake! Cake by @carscottcakedesign Photo by @stephnewtonphotography
Dark Green Square Cake
This cake is a delicate and floral dessert that’s perfect for a brunch or afternoon tea. Cake by @carolinaherrerareposteria.
Smooth Black Bridal Shower Cake
This black simple yet elegant cake topped with fresh flowers is a beautiful and elegant dessert that is perfect for any occasion. The contrast of the dark cake with the bright and colourful flowers creates a striking visual effect that is sure to impress your guests. Cake by @justysbakery.
Contrasting tiers can work quite spectacularly together, here is an amazing sample, splashes of colour and gold to an ivory base for the top tier and contrasted this with a black pleated bottom tier. This cake was entirely created with chocolate ganache. Cake by @redrobinpantry.
Deep Shade of Emerald
I love this deep shade of emerald, finished with pressed edible violas and just a touch of gold leaf. Cake by @sallycoopercakeartist.
Rustic and meadow flower vibes
This subtle pink two-tiered cake look so delicate, pretty and scrumptious. This cake would be perfect for a brunch or afternoon tea. Cake by @victoriamadeuk.
Chocolate & beetroot cake with hibiscus icing and edible flowers
This cake is a rich and decadent dessert that’s perfect for chocolate lovers. Cake by @5oclockapron.
This pretty in pink cake was triple chocolate cake + Salted chocolate buttercream. Dark chocolate ganache, for an engagement party. Cake by @cakehouse.by.katrinaallan.
A little vintage luxe for @city.cave.toowoomba 2nd birthday in business! Layers of white chocolate cake, salted white chocolate & vanilla bean Swiss meringue and fresh raspberries. Cake by @cakehouse.by.katrinaallan..
Baby Shower Cake
A lavender-coloured cake is a beautiful and fitting choice for a baby shower, as it is both elegant and delicate. Lavender is a calming colour that is often associated with femininity and can be a great way to celebrate the arrival of a baby girl. Cake by @cakehouse.by.katrinaallan..
Layers of gingerbread cake. Espresso Swiss meringue. Milk chocolate ganache. Caramel drizzle. Cake by @cakehouse.by.katrinaallan..
Naked Lemon cake layered with meringue and topped with daisies is a beautiful and delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion. The tangy lemon cake pairs perfectly with the sweet and airy meringue, while the daisies add a touch of whimsy. Cake by @cakehouse.by.katrinaallan..
No matter which recipe you choose, remember to choose edible flowers that are safe to eat and have not been treated with any harmful chemicals. And don’t be afraid to get creative with your cake decorating – the possibilities are endless!